Workout #005 runs you through a great ‘head to toe’ mobility and dynamic stretching routine which can be done in 5 minutes!
This is a great warm up exercise to do either before a gym workout or a multisport event to warm up the muscles, stretch out the muscles and prepare them for the work they’re about to do.You can also do this 5minute routine after you get up in the morning before breakfast. The purpose of this stretching is to “reset” the nervous regulation of the length of your muscles for the rest of the day (Thomas Kurz M.Sc. – Author of Stretching Scientifically).
This routine will increase your flexibility massively, improve full range or movement and help prevent injuries due to lack of stretching.
1 – Neck Mobility Exercises
1. Start to loosen up your neck by turning your head from left to right and repeat 10 times both sides.
2. Next bring your chin down towards your chest by flexing your neck, hold it for a split second then back to neutral. Repeat 10 times.
3. Now bring your ear towards your shoulder by flexing your neck to the side and repeat 10 times both sides.
4. Finally do a half circle where you look to the side and keeping your chin tucked in towards the chest you rotate from left to right 10 times.
2 – Shoulder Mobility exercises
1. Start your shoulder mobilisation by swing one arm up and the other down keeping both arms straight and palms facing forward. 10 both sides.
2. Next start rotating both arms forwards in a circular motion whilst keeping both arms straight and looking forwards. Repeat 10 times.
3. Then start rotating both arms backwards in a circular motion whilst keeping both arms straight and looking forwards. Repeat 10 times.
4. Lastly try rotating one arm forwards and the other arm backwards at the same time. Repeat 10 times.
3 – Trunk Mobility Exercises
1a. Start with your legs a shoulder width apart and place on hand on top of the other with palms facing down lift your elbow to shoulder height.
1b. Next start to rotate your trunk by swinging one elbow backwards for as far as your body will allow you to rotate. Repeat 10 times both sides in a continuous motion.
2a. Start in the same way as the last trunk mobility exercise (1a).
2b. Start rotating your truck as before but this time allow your hands to separate and extend out further behind you. Repeat 10 times both sides.
4 – Waist Mobility Exercises
1a. Start with your hands on your hips and your feet slightly wider than a shoulder width apart and tighten your abdominals.
1b. Begin by circling your hips around your waist in a clockwise direction, then after 10 circles change direction to anticlockwise for 10 circles.
2a. Lightly start to bounce on your balls of your feet and then start to twist from side to side every bounce. Your head and upper body should remain facing forwards.
2b. Try stay relaxed and light on your feet. Repeat 10 times both sides.
5 – Knee Mobility Exercises
1a. Start with your feet a shoulder width apart and your hands on your hips.
1b. Then start to flick one heel up your bum and in a continuous motion step down to flick the other heel up. Repeat 10 times both heels.
2a. Now put your hands in front of your waist palms facing down, then start to bring one knee up continuously switching which knee comes up.
2b. Stay light on the balls of your feet whilst jogging on the spot with high knee lifts to hit your palms repeatedly 10 times both sides.
6 – Ankle Mobility Exercises
1a. Start by standing straight on one leg with the lifted foot out slightly in front of you and keeping the leg straight. Place your hands on your hips for balance.
1b. Then flex your toes towards your shins as much as possible then point them away like a ballerina as far as possible. Repeat 10 times both legs.
2a. Start by standing straight on one leg like in the previous ankle exercise (1a).
2b. Start to circle your foot in a clockwise direction for 10 circles then change direction to anticlockwise. Repeat on both sides making the circles as big as possible.
7 – Hip Mobility Exercises (1)
1. Start with your hands on your hips and feet one shoulder width apart.
2. Lift one knee up waist height in front of your then move it outward away from you body. Put the foot down then repeat 10 times both sides.
3. Start with your feet one shoulder width apart and the right foot back with a straight leg to form a long starting stance. The left front leg is bent with knee positioned over then ankle.
4. Keeping the right leg straight swing the leg directly in front of you and up waist height or higher. Repeat 10 times both sides. This is also a great hamstring dynamic stretch.
8 – Hip Mobility Exercises (2)
1a. Start with your feet together and your hands holding the top of a inclined bench or up against the wall for support.
1b. Now with the weight on supporting hands start to swing your leg out to the side without turning the toes up. Repeat 10 times both legs.
2a. Start with your feet together and your hands holding on to a bench or up against the wall for support.
2b. Now with the weight on supporting hands start to swing your leg out backwards keeping the leg straight. Repeat 10 times both legs.